Hazelden

Hazelden Mill

User Rating: 3 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar InactiveStar Inactive
 

The earliest bleachfield in Mearns Parish was at Hazelden on the Earn Water. It originated on the Eaglesham side of the Earn, at a small bleachwork called Gardenfield before 1789. Hazelden Mill was established about 1820 and by 1846, it was carrying out calico printing with a work force of about three hundred.

ha1

Around 1900, it changed to silk printing  but keen competition from the far east destroyed the local trade and the works closed.

Many of the workforce lived in cottages which were built on the site of the mill. These were sited on the road leading down to the mill where a modern house stands today.

ha2

The only building associated with the mill which remains is the managers house:

ha3

 

 


© 2019 Mearns History Group. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Nuadha